If I could think of one word to describe Steven Gerrard it would be ‘passion’. He was my captain at Liverpool Football Club for six seasons and we worked closely together to develop a side that could win the Premier League and the Champions League. Without Steven we could not have achieved the incredible success that we enjoyed throughout those years.
The ‘Miracle of Istanbul’ was only possible because of him. Steven inspired the team that night, refusing to believe it was an impossible job at half time against AC Milan. He led the charge with a wonderful headed goal and showed the determination needed to win a penalty for our third goal. And when called upon to sacrifice his position on the pitch for the team he didn’t hesitate. It was the perfect stage for him to showcase his talents, and Steven and the other Liverpool players were rewarded with the European Cup. He nearly always thrived on the big occasion, producing one of the great FA Cup goals as we beat West Ham at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. And the partnership he developed with Fernando Torres produced some of the most exciting attacking football the Premier League has ever seen.
After hearing the news today that Steven will leave Liverpool at the end of the season I wanted to wish him all the best for the future and thank him for his all his hard work during the time I was at Anfield.
Liverpool FC is not just losing a great athlete, or a great footballer. The club is losing its ‘red’ heartbeat. Steve, remember, you’ll never walk alone.
- Joselu is here, excellent news
- Merino joins Manquillo and Jacob
- Florian joins our squad
- Steve joins our challenge
- Congratulations to Woodman and Armstrong
- Goodbye Tioté, a true professional
- Fabio and Filippo, also back to the elite
- Another prize for the collective effort
- A great comeback inspired by amazing fans
- An award reflecting the work of the group
- Christian Atsu, pace and ability
- Welcome Murphy and Lazaar
- Stephen Miller MBE, a real example
- Diamé signs for Newcastle United
- Clark arrives with experience and balance
- Molto felice 90° compleanno, Napoli
- We can count on Grant
- With Alder and Sweeney in our memories
- Hayden, another new signing
- Gámez joins the project