Rafa Benítez, Spanish Head Coach of Newcastle United FC, has been awarded a prize from the North East Football Writers' Association in its annual gala. The team's captain and great defender from Derby, Jamaal Lascelles, and the team's forward Matt Ritchie, born in the South of England, were also awarded in the same event.
Benítez picked up his award, which recognises his great achievement of taking Newcastle back to the Premier League just one year after relegation. In addition, they won the Championship after a great season, always staying in top positions.
In the presentation, the Spanish coach of the 'Magpies' told the press, "This prize is a great honour for me and for my work team, but I have to highlight the effort and sacrifice of the players, they are key to achieving these great goals".
Benítez congratulated all the winners and made a statement about the near future of Newcastle: "I'm committed to the day to day job of thanking the club, the fans and the city of Newcastle for their trust in our team. Now, we are only thinking about Anfield, about the next challenge against Liverpool F.C. A very special match for me".
- Benítez: "Every game is really important"
- Benítez: "There are good problems for me"
- Rafa Benítez: Highlights before Everton
- Benítez: "We have to keep the confidence high"
- Rafa Benítez: Highlights before West Ham
- Benítez: "It's important to have players who can compete"
- Benítez: "The pressure is similar"
- Rafa Benítez: highlights before Bournemouth
- Benítez: "With fans behind us, we can do it"
- Benítez: "We have to keep the belief"