Rafa Benitez Official Website

Sitemap
Formulario para enviar un comentario del foro

Subject: 

What has been the highlight of the International Matches played this week?

Author: 

www.rafabenitez.com

Date: 

18/10/2012

18/10/12 at 11:25:35 #1
pete lfc
I wasn't to impressed with the games but my highlight was watching the fans cheer the ref when he was throwing the ball around the waterloged pitch highlight of my week
18/10/12 at 11:52:21 #2
Jay C
Swedens comeback away to Germany with 30 min left of the game.
18/10/12 at 12:05:15 #3
Björn Grafström
That Germany lost a 4-0 advantage at home. They completely destroyed Sweden for 60 minutes and yet only got a point from the game.
18/10/12 at 16:04:15 #4
Wolflin
Even being a German myself, which does not prevent me from supporting Liverpool for more than 39 years now as my one and only team btw, - the highlight has not to be the real world-class performance in the first half or 60 minutes, but the incredible comeback of the Swedes, which was historic, because never before a German team gave away a 4 goal advantage.

But different to our own legendary comeback in Istanbul, this one seems to me far more a selfmade-one by the Germans than due to sheer will and force by Sweden.

Honest question to you, Rafa, as one of the very few coaches with the rare ability to inspire such remarkable comebacks: How on earth was this possible?

Apart from the obvious things - Sweden brought on the higher acting Källström for Wernblom in the centre and Kacaniklic for Holmen to mark Boateng and use the space behind him, and gave up their total defensive approach, attacking higher and earlier (not the first time, Germany has problems with this, eg.vs. Austria
18/10/12 at 16:21:40 #5
Wolflin
I still do not get rid of the feeling, that it was not only psychological thinking to be save and not making the runnings consequently in the German game any more.

Germany changed too much to a long ball game because of the pressing played by Sweden, Reus and Müller stayed inside instead of going to the wings, Özil and notably Kroos stayed high up the pitch leaving Schweinsteiger alone, having to cover too much space in DM with Källström using the newly found freedom, and Boateng not willing to notice, that Kacaniklic was brought on and he had to come back and play deeper.

But - no reaction and non fitting changes by German coach Jogi Löw!!! Though the Bender-Twins missing through injury he still

- could have replaced Boateng by Höwedes to close the right side and
- bring on Westermann in DM to close down Källström.

Instead we were begging for the lucky punch and finally got it - 4 shots on target by Swede, four goals in. Historic, but still only self to blame.

Response:

Complacency maybe is the word. Good analysis anyway Wolflin. Thank you.

18/10/12 at 17:18:15 #6
DANGERDOUG
GERMANY's HOME capitulation to Sweden.

IN RAFA TRUE REDS STILL TRUST.
30/05/13 at 16:17:04 #7
Lucariell81
Welcome in Napoli! I just started reading your book in kindle format "Champions league dreams".. thanks for defeating AC Milan in that unforgettable game of istanbul!